Citygirl/ Farmhand

Citygirl/ Farmhand
Check out those hay bales

The Farm

The Farm
The Farm

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

300 Lbs of Fun


Tim warned me that this thing was gonna be heavy but at this point, it takes a lot more than just the word "heavy" to worry me. But I should have heeded his warning. While this picture may fail to capture the true heft of this thing, it's made of solid, thick steel and is about 7 feet wide by 10 feet long. And yes, it does indeed weigh in at over 300 pounds. In case you're wondering what this thing actually is, it's one of eight skylights that will go into the roof of the building and let the sun shine in. Sing it!

So, this monstrosity was loaded into the back of Tim's van earlier that day by four, count `em, four of his male (and very strong) employees and they even struggled a bit. So when we arrived at the barn and Tim was like, "you take the back side", I almost had to laugh. I couldn't even move it one millimeter. And I was trying to the point of actually grunting like a professional tennis player. After a few more fruitless tugs, I was like resolution: this is just going to have to stay in your van forever. Tim doesn't listen to me when I say the word "can't" and pushed me through. He was somehow able to lift the back of it, angle it sideways and and get it to a position where we could slide it out. Once some of the weight was supported by the edge of the van, I was finally able to lift it slightly (with a lot of Wimbledon caliber grumbling) and ten minutes later, we had gotten it out unscathed. Poor Zelda got yelled at a lot because she was in the way but I think deep down she appreciated the protection because if that thing landed on her, bye bye leg.

So we did it and the lesson here is that Tim inspires me to do things that I would normally look at and immediately give up on, before even trying. Maybe he can get a second job as a life coach. I'll look into it.

P.s. To my loyal blog followers, I apologize for being slow to blog these last few weeks, but I am in the midst of putting together a new site for the blog with a proper web designer and spending all my time on that. It will launch soon, get excited!


1 comment:

  1. This loyal blog follower is eager with anticipation!

    ReplyDelete