Citygirl/ Farmhand

Citygirl/ Farmhand
Check out those hay bales

The Farm

The Farm
The Farm

Monday, August 2, 2010

Fallin Up

This was one of the weirdest, most confusing, most bizarre, most embarrassing moments of my life. After a long day of lifting steel, we were putting this blue machine away.
It was sitting close to the edge of the platform as in this picture and we were covering it with a tarp. Pretty simple when you consider that the rest of the day I spent suspended in the air on that thing, trying to hold those giant pieces of steel in place while Tim bolted them in. It was the triple axel of farm building thus far. If the judges were being fair, I was at a 9 across the boards. Impressive considering that I am afraid of heights, especially when on a wobbly machine, and holding a 200 lb piece of steel while suspended 20 feet off the ground. This is not an exaggeration. Damnit, I deserve a perfect 10. Or maybe they docked those points because I was on the verge of vomiting the entire time and literally had to push the puke down with all my might. I probably looked a little green. Okay. 9. Fine.

Anyway. So I succeeded in the tough part so I guess maybe everything was sucked out of me and when we attempted to simply cover the machine with the tarp, I stopped focusing I guess? I'm not even sure what happened because I think I lost consciousness for a moment? All that I do know is that I was walking along that ledge with tarp in hand and next thing I know I'm falling, in slow motion, into the weeds and planks of wood below. It was so weird. It happened so slowly that I remember thinking "Oh god, I hope I don't land on those wood planks and if I do, please don't let me land on a nail" and then "but if I do, please let my tetanus shots be up to date because tetanus is a very weird disease and you involuntarily fold over backwards with lockjaw and get all deformed and shit and Tim might want to divorce me if that happens" and then "maybe if I break my ankle, I won't have to work for a few weeks. Or maybe just a sprain so there's no permanent damage" but then I hit the ground. And aside from a teeny tiny cut on my finger of all places, I was fine. Definitely stunned and confused and embarrassed, but physically, I was okay. I did a little shake it off walk while Tim was running around yelling, thinking that I died but nope, I was totally fine.

Here is a photo re-enactment. oooh, ooh, there are my feet, right on the ledge and...ahhhhh!!!!
KER PLOP!

No comments:

Post a Comment