Citygirl/ Farmhand

Citygirl/ Farmhand
Check out those hay bales

The Farm

The Farm
The Farm

Monday, May 24, 2010

American Women Don't Get Fat in France

I honestly can't believe I am referencing the book that gave me nightmares for years, but there is definitely something magic about France. You can eat anything and not get fat. I don't think I can admit this to my mother who is the purveyor of said nightmares (she quoted that book more religiously than she quoted THE DA VINCI CODE and ruined basically every meal we had together for 4 years), but there is something true to the theory.

I just weighed in after my long trip to Cannes and shockingly, shed a few pounds. This is virtually impossible, but I weighed myself three times in three different places and it's true. And believe me, if you  had dined with me, you would have thought I was trying to gain weight. I mean, I wasn't, duh, but you'd think differently if you had seen my meals. I piled unpasteurized butter onto baguettes, indulged in steak au poivre religiously (I think the direct translation of au poivre = really buttery creamy peppery sauce that tastes like heaven), pounded down lardons like they were baby carrots, drank bottles and bottles of wine, had soft boiled eggs with croissants and bread tips and pounds of butter every morning- except of course for the mornings when I had pain chocolat, and I even ate dessert. And not just a bite of someone else's on one shameful night. Oh no, I had my own order at every dinner and I ate almost the whole thing. Chocolate mousse, tarts, gelato, and on and on. And then every night at my hotel, there was a little chocolate square waiting for me on my pillow which really would have been a shame to throw away so yes, I topped off every night with more calories. And then I lost weight! I am seriously quitting dieting forever and just eating whatever I want instead. I just don't think that works here. But I'm determined to find out. Stay tuned...

P.S. also goes beyond the ability to eat anything and not get fat: you can buy codeine over the counter for 5 euros! You can buy skin products for 1/3 of what they cost in the US, and look, even the hand dryers are magic. You stick your hands in that glowing space and voila! this whirring thing starts up and they're dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment