Citygirl/ Farmhand

Citygirl/ Farmhand
Check out those hay bales

The Farm

The Farm
The Farm

Monday, May 10, 2010

A Good Old Fashioned Christening


Okay folks, warning you now. I'm gonna get a little sappy on you here for a minute. A little romantic. But don't worry, I fully intend to gross you out and divulge some family secrets first....

Saturday was a day like any other: I moved some more giant rocks, shoveled extremely heavy mud (mud! who knew it could be so heavy?!), moved some more giant rocks, pulled out my back, yadda yadda yadda. The real excitement came in the form of in-law drama later that night when we went back to Tim's parents' house for dinner. Unfortunately, I am not at liberty to go into too much detail because they may one day actually click that link on my Facebook page that goes to this blog, but let's just say my sister-in-law was spinning stories about my brother-in-law that were not so flattering. In his absence, no less. That's all I'm gonna say. Ok, no, it's not. I don't think that anyone who blames another person in a relationship for EVERYTHING has any sort of touch with reality. Sure, in some instances one person is more to blame than the other, but it's just not possible to blame the other person entirely. So she ruined her credibility from the get-go. Plus, we are all familiar enough with her melodramatic ways to take everything she says with a grain of salt. Thus, her diagnosis of my brother-in-law's alleged psychiatric disorder not only made our eyes roll but it also sounded like it came directly from Wikipedia rather than the mouth of a doctor and if it did indeed come from the mouth of a doctor, he read it verbatim from Wikipedia. Which = bad doctor. Okay! I'm stopping. Enough. Now I'm really gonna zip it and conclude Saturday night by saying there was a lot of gossip, a lot of wine, a lot of finger pointing, and a lot of skepticism.

Sunday morning I woke up in a haze because at some point I thought it would be a good idea to take a Benadryl for my allergies which were absolutely awful this weekend, presumably from the ridiculous wind storms. We took Tim's mother out for breakfast as her Mother's Day present (my mom is out of town- but I called her!) and had an enormous meal which only added to my fuzziness. Tim and I then went to the farm and sat in the van. Yes, we sat in the van. I don't know if it was the Western omelet that seemed like it was made with 15 eggs or the Benadryl/ wine combo the night before or the extra pollen in the air, but we both felt like we had been drugged and just could not get up the motivation to do any work. So instead we sat in the car, inclined our seats fully, then took a two hour nap. Two hours! It was a full on sleep for both of us, with dreams and all. I had some circus dreams (wtf?) and Tim had dreams that he was yelling at one of his employees to fill out his time card (awesome dream). I'm not sure what Zelda dreamt, but she too was out like a light, right between our bucket seats on the floor. The weirdest part is that Tim's van is probably the grossest place on the planet. It has a layer of dirt (dirt, not even dust) so thick that you can peel it off the dashboard like you would the skin of an orange. And the dog food. There are bags and old cans of dog food littered all over the back. It smells teriff. I love it in there. Which is why I'm as shocked as you are that we fell asleep so easily and so comfortably. What might be even more shocking is that when we woke up, we were both feeling it. We put the dog outside and finally christened the farm. It was actually sort of romantic. I know that seems completely impossible given the situation, but I swear it was. I think part of it was that we both knew that I am leaving for Cannes for 10 days today (agggh) and knew it might be our last shot for a while. It was so sweet, even when my bare feet graced the dog food bowl and I later found my panties under the gas pedal (no, I did not put them back on). This is far too much information so I forgive you if you have stopped reading but I just wanted to share what I had sort of forgotten these last few weeks amidst the chaos of our lives; getting old dog food on your pedicure may be disgusting but it's easy to overlook when you're in love and lost in the moment...awww...

1 comment:

  1. just hope that another layer of liquid wasn't added to the dirt and dog food...might make the next nap no fun

    ReplyDelete