Citygirl/ Farmhand

Citygirl/ Farmhand
Check out those hay bales

The Farm

The Farm
The Farm

Monday, June 7, 2010

Camping with the Eagle

Here I am brushing my teeth Saturday morning without a sink or water after a long night of sleeping on a cement slab. Okay okay, this time wasn't even close to as torturous as the last camp out. Yes, we did eat steak with our hands but it was NY Strip and I'll be damned if that meal didn't cost $70 at the local farm store. I guess you can't buy class. Or maybe they just smell a sucker. And I don't know if it was because it felt so wrong (and yet so right) to eat with my hands, but that steak was one of the best I've ever had. I have a feeling that the two bottles of wine may also have influenced my assessment but seriously, it felt great to release all the rules and just get caveman with it, it really did. 
P.S. don't be fooled by my pink dress that looks semi-fancy. I just put that thing on because we had friends stopping by and it was one of the only dresses I have that is super old that I don't care about anymore and am willing to just roll up and stuff into a bag next to a seeping can of dog food. 
P.P.S. that dress makes my torso look really long and it's actually not
P.P.P.S. it's not! 

The camp out was uneventful in terms of war stories and Tim torturing me, but I must say that I had a few moments of terror when I heard a pack of coyotes chattering in the trees and attacking a neighbor's dog.  I swear to you, one of them followed us when we went to collect firewood. We could hear something undeniably huge following us through the tall grass. And then I actually had to touch wood that had been sitting in a barn for years which means it definitely had spiders on it so picture me walking with big pieces of wood in my hands (AWAY from my body, uch) while coyotes are stalking us hungrily and now you might understand my terror. 

here's the campsite at dusk...

and the fire pit...

As far as the progress report on the building (because isn't that what this blog is supposed to be about?!), I had the pleasure, and I say "pleasure" without any note of irony, of designing the loft. It was fun- I took measurements, drew a scale, laid out the scale in real square feet so I could feel it out, then we marked it all off with string and plywood and sent the new dimensions to Tim's office where they are going to input them into Autocad or whatever. This was the first time I felt like I was a real part of the building process and of course am I now terrified because that means I will have real responsibility if anything is flawed. Like if the bathroom is only two feet wide and the toilet juts out into the bedroom, I only have myself to blame. eek...

And if you're wondering about The Eagle, ask me in person because it's far too personal to blog about. Let's just say it's a nickname that Tim attributes to "soaring" and leave it at that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment